Thought Bill DeRouchey's Language of Interaction was relevant here:
http://www.languageofinteraction.com/

As he points out designers/IxDers are the curators of the language of
interaction, and our usage of symbols is part of the process of teaching
them to people. A triangle for "Play" is only the accepted standard
because it is, not because that symbol is inherently "play-like".

I only recently heard about the 0/1 bit, but that's never interfered
with my usage of a power button.

His piece is really worth a read...