Considering I have actual relatives who would never in a million
years make the connection between on/off and 1/0, (and they are not
stupid, old, uneducated or otherwise outlying cases) I think it's
foolish to believe that this symbol is as universally comprehensible
as you would like to believe it is. It is certainly not "universally
recognized" or known.

Katie