This is pure awesome.

The simple idea of haptic surfaces, where the surface reshapes itself
on context, alone solves the single biggest problem with
touchsurfaces: you can't feel the difference between "buttons."

I've been saying for a while that materials science in combo with
nanotech will revolutionize interaction design. It already is with
touchsurfaces, but that is just the beginning.

Consider that the complexity of interaction design is related to the
number of input and output possibilities. Have just buttons and
lights? It's a simpler problem (and thus didn't yet need the term
"interaction design".) Add in screen displays and keyboards, it gets
more complex. Add in touch input/output, more complex. Now add in this
technology, even more.

And by "more complex" I of course mean "more fun." The practice of IxD
is going to be handed some seriously fun challenges over the next few
decades.

Bring. It. On.