Kevin,

I think at present there is an implied 'interaction' focus to a
design research because that is where most of the design research is
focused. Granted all design could benefit from research, but some
areas like graphics, tend to be stuck in a craft approach rather than
one of problem solving. Ideally, there would be an interaction degree
that focuses on just that, interactions. My undergrad degree was in
design theory, which focused on methods and approaches to design with
some applied work. I think there is room for a 'design thinking'
masters that combines elements of design research, deeper methods
than most core programs offer, and design management content. This
would be a good approach for schools with smaller faculty and those
that lack the pedigree of a CMU, Stanford or IIT. It's not too far
off from where IIT/ID is, but they call these out as discrete
disciplines.

Mark