Hi Mark,

I tried posting this last night, but I didn't see it show up on the
thread, so I thought I'd try again:

I%u2019m sorry that there was some confusion on my post; my comment
was directed specifically at Leah Noble, and her question regarding
the design studies program at AI of Portland, and whether she should
go on to get her graduate degree.

The AI website talks about the program covering %u201Cthe
fundamentals of research, business and art and understand how they
integrate to enhance the design process. Students will focus on
analyzing design trends, understanding design philosophies, and
gathering research to provide support for new designs%u201D, all of
which sounds very much like a design management program rather than
an interaction design program.  I realize that Leah indicated that
the faculty are trying to move the program from what's promoted, but
even if one were able to glean a fair amount of interaction experience
from the nexus of business, philosophy, art and research, I%u2019d
still recommend to Leah that she work on the graduate degree before
trying to move into an interaction design position.

More specifically to your question which began the thread (would it
be good for the profession to have an undergraduate standard?), the
answer is a resounding yes.  To the second question (can it be done
well?), the answer is also yes.

The obstacle to both is twofold: one has to do with the turf and the
resources that the disparate areas of the larger field cling to; the
other has to do with what I see as an institutional tendency to
over-prep the undergraduate for a specialty area that leads into
graduate studies.

On the first point having to do with turf: Rather than collaborating
to define what would constitute a good program, many are holding on
to their pieces of the pie, especially as it relates to the research
money or tuition associated with their academic programs.  I%u2019ve
seen it at many institutions where the squabbling over subject matter
content within courses and programs has caused good ideas to die and
wither on the vine.

On the second point regarding over-prep: Some of this over-prep is
the result of institutional pressure and/or departmental bias toward
pushing students down a didactic path, and frankly to meeting
overly-quantitative and overly-prescribed assessment outcomes, rather
than allowing students to explore the discipline on their own.  Even
at the undergraduate level, prescriptive programming never gets
people where they really need to be when it comes time to move to the
next level.

Finally, and to my point, you%u2019ll get no disagreement from me on
the notion of "design research%u2019s" implied focus as primarily
about interaction, but as far as I%u2019m concerned, the fact that
it%u2019s implied, rather than explicit, is part of the problem,
especially as one casts about for what is missing in the various
educational schema for programs in interaction design.  This
couldn%u2019t be truer than at the undergraduate level.  So to me,
Todd%u2019s comment earlier resonates in the context of the
%u201Cimplied%u201D focus of programs, especially as he bemoans the
fact that there are not that many qualified and vetted junior
designers.  It%u2019s because the programs are all over the map, not
just in what they focus on, but also in what they%u2019re called.

Take care!

Kevin