In the past few months I've heard rumblings on the list that
usability is about more than evaluation (first from Jared and more
recently from Elizabeth). I'm not a card-carrying member of UPA, but
this is interesting to me and I'd like to learn more about the point
of view.

I was taught that Design represents the intersection of three
attributes:
- the useful
- the usable
- the desirable

My entire context for usability has been as an evaluation tool to
identify design elements that are initially confusing or that involve
a high error rate for some ergonomic reason. In that context, short
term learnability almost always trumps everything else. That can be
frustrating. I've viewed it as a failing of usability testing;
something that seems to be baked in.

Now it appears that's not the case. In a recent thread, Elizabeth
mentioned satisfaction and effectiveness as components of usability.
That seems to frame usability as an analog for design itself. I'm all
for disciplinary scope creep, but I want to make sure I understand
the position correctly.

Without starting a holy war, I'd be interested in opposing
perspectives on what constitutes usability.

// jeff