On Mar 12, 2008, at 9:04 AM, Fine, David wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some good examples where this pattern is
> implemented?  I'm trying to get out of listing the four actions icons
> (add, edit, delete and cancel) next to each row.

I work with lists of editable items a lot. There are a number of
patterns you could follow, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

1. Buttons on every row
As you have already mentioned, one option is to include all of the
relevant actions as icons/buttons on every row. The available actions
may differ based on object type or status. The benefit of doing this
is two-fold: the UI presents the available actions to the user in
direct relation to the object they will act upon, and it provides one-
click access to those actions. The problem is visual clutter. The
sheer number of icons on the screen, and the repetitiveness of them,
does not result in the most elegant UI.

2. Buttons on mouseover
This is set up the same as option 1. However, you only show the
buttons when the cursor moves over a row, so only one row shows
buttons at a time. Benefits: Removes the clutter, and highlighting
the row makes it apparent that you are acting on the correct item. It
is still single-click access. Drawback: It is not immediately
apparent that  the actions are available. Once the user knows that
they are there, it shouldn't be a problem.

3. Row selection
In this pattern, the user selects a row (or multiple rows) and then
presses a button found on a toolbar above the list. Buttons should
enable and disable based on the selection. Benefits: removes screen
clutter, allows for actions on multiple items. Drawbacks: two-click
interaction, actions and items are not directly connected.

4. Checkboxes
This is similar to option 3, but easier to implement. Checkboxes are
placed in every row. Actions are provided elsewhere on the screen.
The user clicks checkboxes for items they want to act upon. Benefits:
removes screen clutter, allows for actions on multiple items.
Drawbacks: two-click interaction, actions and items are not directly
connected, doesn't completely remove screen clutter. Note: this can
be used in combination with options 1 and 2.

> PS  Does anyone have any good suggestions or software for converting
> .ico to gifs?

Graphic Converter
http://www.lemkesoft.com/xd/public/content/index._cGlkPTE5Mw_.html

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer
inmedius
412.459.0310 x219
http://www.inmedius.com

If there's anything more annoying
than a machine that won't do what you want,
it's a machine that won't do what you want
and has been programmed to behave
as though it likes you.

            - Don Norman