On Mar 12, 2008, at 4:29 PM, Meredith Noble wrote:

> So we have:
>
> List Page (list of all items, with buttons allowing the user to
> perform
> any actions that can be applied to any combination of items in the
> list,
> including multiples)
>
> Item Detail Pages (what you get when you click on an item, with all of
> the same buttons as the list page, PLUS any buttons for actions that
> you
> can only perform on one item at a time)
>
> I don't know if that explanation makes any sense -- hope so :)

Yep, I get it. That makes sense, but I could see two cases in which it
could be problematic:

1. The single-item actions are the ones that people use most often. It
would be frustrating to have to navigate an extra screen to get to the
functions you typically need when other, less useful functions are
immediately available.

2. They need to perform the single-item actions on several items in
sequence. This would require "yo-yo" navigation, bouncing in and out
of details screens to accomplish their task.

Let's take "edit" for example. I'm going to assume that pressing the
edit button changes the detail screen from a read-only mode to an
editable mode. This cognitively makes sense, and may test okay, but it
does add a click to get to the edit state. Do they often view item
details without editing? If so, your solution seems appropriate. If
not, you might consider displaying the edit state automatically.

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer