> it's a waste of time. Granted, we could have fleshed out the
> prototype with
> 'why would I do this' type content and is this the failing here or
> simply that users don't always know best?

I always take user research findings (quant or qual)  with many grains
of salt. It's supplementary data to help a designer understand,
empathize, interpret, and then make a "good" decision. Designers are
informed visionaries, not "short-order cooks" doing simply what the
"user asks" b/c often users often don't know what they want, nor how
to express exactly what they want. If they did, we wouldn't have
jobs :-) Designers must exercise their judgment (comes with years of
experience, i know) to use or dismiss that data.

Also, what's the goal?

1) breakthrough innovation: no one asked for a Wii, iPod, Prius, Dyson
or flickr, but once manifested, then users wanted them. Discovery
activities, asking user motives/reasons, social/tech trends, scenarios
might help...but again, take salt with what you find!

2) incremental clean-ups: if it's minor tweak for the next point
release, listening to those 500 complaints on your forum about the
wrong button label would be good :-) But again, if there's a chance to
introduce an innovative UI or behavior, then try it, get a pulse on
users reaction, and decide for yourself how to proceed.

For other resources, google the following folks: Larry Keeley (Chicago
ID), Vijay Kumar (Chicago ID), Roger Martin (Rotman), and Craig Vogel
(Cincinatti)--all academics but with practical understanding how
breakthrough innovation happens in large corps like Motorola, Ford,
Whirlpool, etc.

But I'd say: Gather some user info,  question what's said, reflect on
it, create a solution per your design abilities, defend and iterate,
etc.

and good luck :-) (with lots of salt!!)

Uday Gajendar
Sr. Interaction Designer