"what ~does~ getting into IT recruiting involve?
Is it like being a real estate agent/broker, but for IT jobs?
Special degrees beyond the obvious?  HR background?
Nice smile?"

I thought I would chime in as I am an IT Recruiter.

The issues raised are all legitimate.  It is true that many recruiters
practice a "shotgun" approach.

I do not subscribe to that as IT has developed in such a dynamic and
specialized way; that finding the right person for an opportunity is all
about the details.  From a credibility stand point it does not serve
anyones interest to propose a role to a candidate nor a candidate to a
client; that is not a suitable match; this undermines the confidence of
your constituency on all fronts.  As a individual; I have also suffered
the slings and arrows of blasts and errant calls that were no where near
my profile.  Mostly to blame are the companies and learship of these
companies;  they have no clue; to them it is a sales model and you throw
as much dung at the walls and see what sticks; so they are often inclined
to hire someone that has no clue and pay them less and cultivate a rote
machine like manner; then to hire someone who approaches in a
professional, analytical and yes ethical manner with the proper etiquette
and builds a following that is based on mutual respect and interest.

Most are not trained; simply given simple templates; but there are those
that have an appreciation and the intelligence that develop into more
reputable and effective advocates and agents that serve their end clients
and candidates well.  I have maintained relationships and developed
friendships with indiviudals that I help facilitate an opportunity for
since 1999; when I entered the industry and have earn the respect of
clients and candidates alike; for providing a timely and cost effective
service that has led to the development of successful careers and the
loyalty of hiring managers that value my efforts and input.

I have also learned much from the folks; (..your mailing list
included.;o)that I serve and congregate with and it has made me a better
recruiter and I too have learned to accept that in the execution of my
duties and with all the best intentions; I will deal with candidates who
are dishonest, self serving, deluded and lacking in social grace and
ethical value; but as in life and in balance; the good outshines the bad.

...and yes; I'm advise that I have a great smile..infectious even; a
degree in Theatre Mgmt, classically trained In Stanislavski Method,
politcally active and socially conscious, a frustrated writer and most of
all... my kids dad.

Just wanted you to give you a beacon of sorts.  I thought the litany of
comparisons might lead to include; Theatrical agents and lawyers; but
thats another post subject altogether...:o)

-Bert