Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Based off these comments and the comments off-list it seems like the
translations are pretty universally lackluster--except for Swedish,
which holds a special place in terms of incomprehensibility.
Portuguese was the most well-received, but I'm not sure this type of
thing makes sense for only one language.

Google's API is fairly new, so just to be sure I ran translations
from a couple other services (Systran for Spanish and InterTran for
Swedish) and they didn't fare well. Itamar, could you share which
service your students are using?

I designed the digests to make it easier to consume the discussions,
but this actually seems to make it harder. If you need to doublecheck
the conversation in two languages it's not really worth the effort to
read, especially if you have some comprehension of english.

At this point, it seems like the translated digests would only really
be helpful to non-english speakers. I'm not averse to that but I'm
not sure how we would get this in their hands without some major
outreach.

If you know of other good translation services, I'd be interested in
checking them out. I'll keep exploring the possibilities, but I'm
not optimistic.

// jeff