On Apr 23, 2008, at 6:23 AM, David Malouf wrote:

> I know that Jorge said that ya gotta play in English today to be a
> part of the world, but I'm not sure "ethically" I'm all for that.

I hope my comments weren't misunderstood -- I didn't mean to imply
that English is the only solution for everyone, everywhere. It makes
all the sense in the world (heh :) ) for local communities to develop
in their local languages. However, global communication is very hard
to do if there isn't a lingua franca with which to communicate between
cultures, and English is it today.

IMO the value of lists like IxDA would be diminished if the
conversation devolved to just represent POVs from the English-speaking
countries, and I'm worried that this is what language-specific lists
would accomplish.

Cheers,

-- Jorge