I have a few questions to add to Harry's:
- Are your applications client-facing or employee-facing (or a blend of
both)?
- Are you on an agency/consultant side, or are you a part of an in-house
design team?
- What is your relationship with the I.T. developers who will be building
the solution?
- Is the solution you're working on web-based since birth, or is it a
migration of a green-screen application to a web-based format?

Here's an energy pellet for the learning curve: read *The Inmates Are
Running the
Asylum*<http://www.amazon.com/Inmates-Are-Running-Asylum-Products/dp/0672326140/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209918596&sr=8-1>,
by Alan Cooper, a former programmer who does a great job of de-constructing
the manner in which software development typically plays out. He explains
successes & failures, the mindsets of upper management and programmers, and
the obstacles you can expect to encounter. You're going to be in for a bumpy
ride anyway, but this book can help explain the bumps.