I think that taking a relevant course and getting a good grade will go a
long way towards improving your chances. I would not take an unrelated
course--if they have requirements that you've met by experience then the
professor will probably waive them. By taking the class, you could also get
a recommendation from someone in the field, which should also help a lot.

Paul

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Michael Martinez-Campos <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>     i've been looking at various certification programs and master's
> programs. While the certification programs look decent, the master's
> programs look a bit better with their spectrum of topics and the ability to
> interact with other likeminded students & faculty.
>
> The problem is I graduated with a low (around 2.25?) gpa in Psychology.
> Halfway through school I started learning how to repair computers and
> subsequently lost interest in psychology(thinking that it had little to do
> with computers). Now that i'm a little older and wiser, I realize that I
> shot myself in the foot. All of the graduate programs i've been looking at
> require AT LEAST a 2.5gpa in order to apply. To get to that point I would
> have to take at least several courses completely unrelated to interactive
> design just to qualify for applying. At over a $1000 per class + fees, that
> seems like a pretty poor path.
>
> I did score very well on the GRE and also have excellent work experience in
> technical support which I believe gives me a unique view on interaction
> issues.
>
> Can anybody give me some advice on which schools might not emphasize and
> applicant's gpa?  I don't see how some people are able to get into grad
> school so easily several years after graduation.
>
> Thanks for any advice you can offer.
>
> Michael Martinez-Campos

Paul Nuschke
Senior Design Researcher