Like you Mike I am a great believer in pen and paper.

Sketching ideas out on paper is a much more creative process than
sitting in front of a screen alone.  It helps you as the designer
play around with many more concepts, which you can then refine down
to an agreed approach and its simply more fun.

I have also had great success with getting developers involved in the
design process in this way as it does not rely on knowing any software
and having a license, so is much more accessible.

I have wall space for all my projects, which contains business
objectives and metrics, personas, user stories and user flows, so
once we start sketching we fill the wall, so we are surrounded by our
ideas instead of keeping them locked in files on a server.

I also take photos of the sketches, and upload to basecamp so we have
a record of our thoughts processes. Then I take the photo straight
into Photoshop to start designing, without having to begin with a
blank white screen.

We then build production quality code.  I only ever use visio now,
for offshore 3rd party deliverables where unfortunately we still have
to use the functional spec waterfall method :(

Like you, my clients seem to really like this quick, cheap and
flexible approach.