> Seriously, though—why should it be a requirement? Why do you have to have a
> degree to know how to teach a class that gets someone else a degree?

I think it depends. It depends on the field. It depends on the person's
experience. In an MFA program, probably all that matters is the person is a
great designer and a great teacher.
Would you take a Psych class from someone who doesn't have a degree in
Psych, but has counseled their friends on relationships for years?

> Why
> does a degree prove that you know what you're doing more than experience
> proves it? As many have noted here, the graduates are often terrible
> designers, and the great designers are often sans degree.

True that. Again - I am guessing that this is more than just studio classes.
Are they going to cover dynamic visualization of quantitative data? Might
help if the teacher knows a bit about gestalt principles and pre-attentive
processing - and you don't pick that up coding xhtml and designing great
things in Photoshop. Unless I am missing something...