One of the problems I find with UCD is that it can be too
process-oriented. I think it has to do with our need to systematize
wins in order to recreate them again and again. I think we implicitly
assume that if we use the right processes at the right time then we
will somehow be able to guarantee success. But hasn't history shown
this to a wild goose chase?

We have to seriously ask: how many designers can consistently create
success? Even the companies mentioned, Google/Apple have failed as
much as they have succeeded. The difference is that their successes
make us forget about their failures.

And, to complicate things further, we judge design by different
criteria depending on which way the wind blows. Ask a designer about
how well the Google homepage is designed and you don't know what
you'll hear.

What the best designs do is that they focus solely on the end result.
Process doesn't matter, techniques don't matter, design deliverables
don't matter...the only thing that matters is does the software kick
ass. If nobody is using it or nobody cares about it, then it can't
kick ass. If lots of people are using it and are passionate about it,
then it kicks ass. (insert Kathy Sierra quote here)

While it's helpful to ask "what are the most successful designers
doing?", it seems less fruitful to generalize to hard-and-fast
rules. If there is one thing that design history has shown, is that
there are no hard-and-fast rules or processes by which to work. Just
focus like hell on the end result because that's all that matters.