I guess "confirm password" is a legesy which never got changed.

I think you should go ahead with your gut feeling and actually test user
response after deployment.
If the rate of "forgot password" or "mistyped password" rate increases i's
better to have the confirm password.

If not then you are confirmed that it's right decision to drop "confirm
password"

regards
suman

"Steven Chalmers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
07/10/2008 04:27 AM
Please respond to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IxDA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc

Subject
[IxDA Discuss] "Confirm password" field - Superfluous?

I have a design for a new user registration form in which I am proposing
not use a "Confirm password" field and would like your feedback on this
decision.

The form will have 4 fields, all of which are required:

   1. User name (This will be supplied to the user prior to their using
this
   form)
   2. Password
   3. Hint question
   4. Hint answer

The form also has some explanatory text that describes the use of the hint
question and answer which is that the pair of fields will be used when the
user forgets their password.  If the user forgets their password, or
thinks
it was entered wrong, they will will click the "Sign in using the hint
question" link.  The hint question will be displayed and the user is to
enter the hint answer.  Doing so will sign them in and present them with a
form to reset their password.

The justifications for the decision to not use a "Confirm password" field
are as follows:

   1. I believe that it is rare that people type new passwords
incorrectly.
   2. Assuming that it is rare why should 100% of the people have to
retype
   the password?
   3. In the event that the user does type their new password incorrectly
on
   the registration page, which they will realize the first time they try
   sign in, they can follow the "Sign in using the hint question" link.
   4. Having a second password field doubles the chance that they will
make
   a typo error on their password.

The resistance I am getting is as follows:

   1. It is convention to enter passwords twice. My response:  I need a
   better reason than that.
   2. Since we are only showing asterisks or dots for each character the
   user doesn't know if they have typed the correct password or not.  My
   response: A user is likely to be paying more attention to the typing of
   new password than for most form fields and thus is that much more
likely to
   get it right.  No data to support that, just a gut feeling.
   3. Users would rather find out sooner than later that their password
was
   wrong.  My response: Agreed, but at what cost?  1% of the users who
mistype
   their password benefit from 100% of the users typing their password
twice
   with no benefit.

Thoughts?

Steven Chalmers