The user can visually verify correct data entry in all the fields except
the password field (because it is masked). Requiring the user re-type the
password is the only way they can verify they typed the correct password.

I would vote to keep the re-type password field. I have seen some systems
that use javascript to compare the two password fields on the fly. That
way I don't realize I mis-typed my password after pressing Submit.

Steve Schang
Interactive Design Group | eCommerce | Wachovia Corporation
704.715.3845
Usability | iRise | TrendsCast Blog