Programmers and software folk have a term for this, although the web page
where I first encountered it escapes me. It's roughly referred to as the
"Jersey method" vs the "MIT way" of doing things.

The Jersey method often means doing things in a quick, ad-hoc, messy manner.
Super practical and ugly looking, akin to the highway system (or lack
thereof, har har) in the state of New Jersey.

On the other end of the design spectrum is the MIT way, the exact way you
wish you did something after encountering all of the warts in the Jersey
method. It's perfect, clean, and without flaw.

The Jersey method often prevails because it is always in working condition,
although maybe not the best condition. The MIT way tends to end up remaining
an idea without an implementation.

So will bad design kill Facebook because it doesn't resemble the most MIT
way of interaction and design? Probably not, because it still gets the job
done and that's very Jersey.

By the way, Loren, you absolutely nailed it.