*Todd*, if any credit is lost it would have to be my users and I would never
put the blame on them.
Attacking someone's credit is a low-political blow when people don't want to
debate any more and are looking for a way to be right.
Many revolutionist appear to have low-credit because they believe in their
agenda.
I don't have to Google you, don't be insecure. I have many IA friends who
are experts and wont appear in Google.

*Jack *in many ways you are saying the same thing I am. You are right that
my solutions don't apply everywhere else. Like I said, I'm not making the
rule, my users do.
Again,
best practices mean nothing when your users are saying different.
I always make my designs with best practices in place, but I leave room for
change and innovation from User-testing results.
There are times when I actually do put 'Next' on the right, but it's not by
my own doing- it's based on feedback from tests.
And no your not ganging up on me, I love these conversations. At the end of
the day I'll forget about it look forward to a home-cooked dinner from my
awesome wife.
She always puts the fork on the right-side, but we all know that the fork
goes on the left.
Have a fantastic day gentlemen, feel free to respond, I'll be
waiting...Muhuhuhhahahahahahaa!

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:07 AM, Jack Leon Moffett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2008, at 7:41 PM, Brett Lutchman wrote:
>
>  Ok everyone jump on the bandwagon we're leaving in 10 minutes.
>>

> Hey, I'm not trying to gang up on you, Brett. I was already sitting on the
> bus when you stepped on. I'm sorry if I offended, but it sounded as if you
> were brushing everyone off that was disagreeing by saying, "well, you're all
> designing websites, and that's different." I think the issue is pretty
> fundamental.
>

>  Another 100 people could jump in the convo and say the same about the
>> Previous being on the left and Next on the right, it's not going to change
>> the my past usability tests and a decade of interaction design experience-
>> although I will always be a student of usability.
>>

> I wasn't trying to convince you that you're wrong. You know your users
> better than I do. But your test results and experience don't mean that your
> solution applies everywhere else.
>

>  A common mistake that many amateur North American usability 'experts' make
>> is assuming everyone goes from left to right.
>>

> I think the majority of us probably are aware that the left to right, top
> to bottom flow only applies to cultures that read in that direction. The
> users of all of the applications I have designed thus far happen to fall
> into that bucket.
>

>  Whether the Next link is an actual button and the Previous is a hyperlink,
>> it is commonly already understood that the user knows that some form of
>> moving forward is at the bottom. If they look bottom/right and see that it's
>> not there, Low and Behold, they simply look to the left and the Next button
>> smacks them right in the face...no harm done and the user simply moves on.
>>

> But isn't that a break in the flow as you're trying to avoid? For many of
> us, that would be the flow for the majority of our users.
>

>  Especially when a form is Left Justified for readability, users will
>> naturally look to the left to proceed forward.
>>

> I must disagree. Perhaps your users do, but I cannot believe that this is
> in any way "natural" for "North American" users. There would have to be
> other elements at play to direct the user's attention.
>
> Speaking of top and bottom, I just happened to think of a UI I designed not
> long ago that placed the previous and next buttons above the content. Why?
> Because that was the place that made the most sense for them given the rest
> of the UI. Of course, in that particular case, they were not the primary
> means of navigation.
>
> There are many things that can influence the direction of attention. I
> would suggest that reading direction is a good starting place for deciding
> where to place previous and next buttons, but the designer must consider all
> of the influences to determine the best location.
>
> Best,
> Jack
>

> Jack L. Moffett
> Interaction Designer
> [...]