On Sep 17, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Brett Lutchman wrote:

A mouse user will eventually find the button on the left if it's not on the right. A keyboard savvy would have their flow broken and would have to press the forward button again

Eventually doesn't seem to be a winning model to me.

Now, unless you have a majority of keyboard savvy users, then I'd still opt for a model that works well for both, not "eventually" for the majority.

Design for the 80%. So, unless 80% of your users are keyboard-based users, then you're best bet is "Previous" left and "Next" right. Even if you have a high degree of keyboard-based users, then using tab order, as others have pointed out, combined with making the default action (e.g. Next) the form submit action, you're in the best of both worlds.

As far as having them next to each other, or one on the far right and one on the far left, we'll we've studied both and haven't seen a significant difference or advantage. We've seen theoretical differences and advantages, but in actual use, we haven't found a significant difference.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]