On Sep 16, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Brett Lutchman wrote:

Having conducted multiple studies and tests on this very process, the 'Next' button must be on the left side while the 'Previous' button needs to be on the right.

Don't you have this reversed? Next on the right, Previous on the left?

(We work primarily on transaction/application based systems. We also run regular usability tests. The suggestions below are based on our experience. As always, there are cases where this doesn't apply).

Mouse-based users tend to scan to the bottom right corner with their mouse. It's easy and predictable to target since it's a corner and since the scrollbar is at the right, they're used to moving to this side of the screen.

Keyboard savvy users tend to tab through forms and use the enter key to submit a form.

Making the most desired action first in the list only works for keyboard savvy users, which is the minority. Having it in the most predictable place, at the right, works for the majority.

To make it work for both, you put it at the bottom right and use standard HTML to make the desired action, which is at the right, a "submit" button, while making the less desired action something else (e.g. link, button). If it's a "submit" button, a real HTML submit button, the form will be executed w/the Enter key, satisfying both minority and majority audiences.

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
President, Design Researcher
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AIM:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]