Hi Chris,

I don't think that ads are necessarily the answer, and focusing on
ads to the exclusion of other revenue models is a bit of a strawman.
What I think others are suggesting is that users shouldn't expect to
receive value for free.

I dislike cold showers as much as the next person. And it should come
as no surprise that I also dislike paying utility bills. Why should I
be expected to pay my utility bill simply because I dislike taking
cold showers? I don't care how much it costs the utility company to
get me my hot water, all I'm interested in is taking a relaxing
shower.

The argument isn't that we should persuade people to enjoy cold
showers. And the argument isn't that we should persuade people to
enjoy paying utility bills. The argument is that we should persuade
people to accept some form of utility bill as a legitimate exchange
for the value of a hot shower.

In this little allegory, the utility bill doesn't necessarily need
to be an ad. It could be some other mechanism that provides the
requisite exchange in value.

// jeff