I have simplified Robert's Rule (tm) to this:  I no longer have the
capacity to remember specific dates (personal or business) more than
a week into the future, unless it's something I have to do, or
unless it follows a predictable pattern (immediate family birthdays &
my anniversary are pretty much it).

As with Robert, this frees me up from plenty of engagements and
requires no less than herculean efforts by my wife and coworkers to
get me to go places.  I call it evolution.  My wife calls it
dementia.

As for the glut of information out there, I absorb information
randomly and allow natural selection to weed out the least useful
data.  The best ideas survive and find a home somewhere down the road
where they're most likely to do some good.

I'm also religious about my email and haven't left work with unread
mail going on 10-15 years now.  If it's not in my email then I can't
promise when I'll have it done.  I also subscribe to a few tech
journals and watch what people send me for tidbits.

Like Galapagos and the duck-billed platypus, natural selection is
neither perfect nor pretty.  I still remember my business amex card
from 9 years ago, but can't remember what I'm doing next wednesday
(although I think it's important).

-- Bryan