Apologies for the length...quit smoking this morning, so I'm on a bit
of a rant...

Like many others, I think your best option might just be to find a
more comfortable place to work.  If this is your dream company and
you just can't leave, your best bet may be to contact a lawyer if
you think you're being squeezed out of your job for unscrupulous
reasons.

On the other hand, to the defense of the principle your employer
espouses:  a good development team practicing the kind of agile
development he's talking about - is going to design the system,
regardless.  That is, I've worked with a lot of developers using
different methodologies, and my current team is one of the most
customer-focused that I've seen.  Using a variant of the extreme
programming method, combined with strict discipline to design and
build the heart of what's being requested, they are able to build
new, highly usable features into our site in very short time.

A few things about the above statement:  My development team has an
interaction designer passing them the features.  However, they are
very skilled at building usable software already, so I don't have to
bog them down in the tiniest of details for them to "get it right".
Also, "a good development team" as mentioned above will likely cost
them more than a single interaction designer.

Your employer may believe that switching his current team to an agile
method will suddenly obviate the need for designers, and there's a
very small chance he's right (after all, badly designed features
aren't the same as "utter failure", they are still features).
However, more likely than not, he'll have a very hard time
instilling the discipline necessary to get design right the first
time with his existing staff.

Again, whether you try to make the case to stay or not is really up
to whether you think this company really wants you there.  But if
you're going to make the case, I would make it based on the skills
you brought (and bring) to the table, rather than the benefit your
title provides to the company.  You could throw books, web sites and
expert opinions at them by the bucket-load, but when it comes down to
it, it's you they hired and you are the one with the skills to help
them succeed.

Regarding the use of your designs for the next few years of
development:  Unless you are superhuman and designed every aspect of
every workflow in the system ahead of time, I highly doubt they'll
get much further than "skin deep" into your design before they'll
raise a ton of questions about its intricacies and nuances.  If
you've left the company, they're going to have to get someone to
answer those questions, and their customers aren't likely to be very
specific about the solutions.  That, to me, may be your "in" from
the designers perspective.

One more thing...this may just be my personal preference, but it
wouldn't hurt to do a little more development on the front-end, for
your team.  Not necessarily building the production code, but
building practical HTML prototypes for your team can greatly increase
its efficiency and obviate the need for your dev-team manager to hire
an experienced UI developer (which he'll need if he's getting rid
of designers - and they aren't cheap).

-- Bryan