Christina, I think this falls under the "bigger table" syndrome that
almost all UX practitioners are facing. How do I sit at the big table
if everyone thinks all I'm concerned about is the "user"? I think
this is the not-high-road path.

The higher-road path is actually the desire to meet all stakeholder
needs and the growing concentration of enterprise work where the
largest considered stakeholders are not end-users at all, but channel
managers, and IT managers who will never use the things we create.

It is also about meeting business needs which for right or wrong are
often in conflict with user needs. That conflict is NOT a bad thing,
but it is still a need. I think security issues for example is never
really a user need, except for perception of privacy, and so is
seldom designed for them, but rather is a requirement that comes from
other stakeholder sources. There are MANY other examples.

For me "stakeholder-centered design" has been come up a lot for me
in my work and there are no analytical processes that truly handle
this. There is a balancing act that needs to be reached and it is our
goal as the designers to not just be the advocate for the end-user,
but be the advocate for the most successful design for all
stakeholders.

BTW, as an aside, I have put forth here that the difference between
ACD and UCD is that ACD is really a type of UCD. It is about the
sphere of the touch-points that the user engages in. It is a type,
and not an alternative. so folks proposing ACD are not against UCD at
all.

-- dave