I don't know that there's a hate-on in progress, but I do think that
there is a spirited debate, and a much-needed one.

My problem is with the term User Centered Design itself.  I agree
that it's become over generalized.  But every time I hear it, I ask
myself, "As opposed to what"?

In my work, I define design as the practice of defining goals and
problems and then working to solve them. (note: I'm only speaking
practically, I'm not trying to define design in its entirety for
everyone)  If you're building a web site, how could you do anything
other than put the user and their interaction with the site first and
foremost in every decision?   Like many things in our industry, I
think that people tend to introduce jargon in an attempt to
legitimize the field.  If it sounds fancy, it must be good!

In my opinion it's just design, plain and simple.