From what I've read, there seems to a move away from having the *user* at
the center of the design process to having the *use* of the system (or the
interaction) at the center of the design process. To give credit to Larry
Constantine, I think his term "Usage Centered Design" sums up what most
interaction designers say that they do!

www.foruse.com is his website - although like many "senior folks" in the
field it is kinda crap.

Tim

Disclaimer: I taught Larry's method "usage centered design" for a final year
level university course for two consecutive years. Then I decided I should
use the skills I was teaching and entered industry :)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:35 PM, Christina Wodtke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Lately a lot of senior folks seem to be railing on user-centered design.
> Now, I thought UCD was the idea of putting the users in the center of the
> design choices. To do that, you can do it with a bunch of methodologies, or
> visit the users in their native habitat then keep them in mind later, or
> invite them to pick up a pencil and draw you some interfaces somewhere
> along
> the way. And none of these seem like a particularly bad practice when done
> in context of what you are trying to accomplish. With search, everyone is
> your user and you do search log analysis and a-b testing, when you design
> an
> internal ap you talk to your users, design for them and htey get to sign
> off. Consumer internet for multiple user types can often benefit from
> research, user segmentation and various sorts of testing. Sometimes
> personas
> are usful, sometimes task analysis... sometimes self-gratification is the
> right call when you and the user are the same.  It's all UCD to me. So why
> the backlash?  It feels like a backlash against love songs, sandwiches or
> democracy.
>
> Or perhaps I'm merely semanticly sloppy, and the backlash is against the 32
> step persona to particpatory prototype system(TM)?
>
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Jared Spool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > We've started sharing some of it in our presentations (such as in my IA
> > Summit keynote here: http://is.gd/3ynf).

Kei te kōrero tiki au. Kei te kōrero tiki koe. Ka kōrero tiki tāua. Kōrero
ai tiki tāua.