Jim,

I think your intention here is solid... but the reality of the work is you have an exceptional situation. Design is NOT a highly regarded role in most corporate environments. All well and good to encourage designers to follow you very wise and optimistic words, but someone disingenuine to suggest that this is anywhere close to the norm.

I do not think it is prudent to put 'all things design' away when entering management. I have been managing designers for over 15 years and I still think of myself and act like a designer. I design every single day regardless of what my title or activity may be on that day.

What is important for young designers to know is that with design comes a unique set of tools, methods and insights that can serve well when navigating the waters of the corporate world, start-up, or the business world in general.

To that point... this is exactly what the design thinking is really about... applying these design tools and methodologies in other operating environments.

Mark