Christina, I think you are over simplifying here.
If there is anything I have learned this election season is that
frames, rhetoric, semantics, and titles mean EVERYTHING. They set up
the mental models from which we construct our world view, and they
create our own self-identity from which we juxtapose ourselves
against that world and the other people in it.

1) Why is the only way up, out? Why can't we do what Luke Wroblewski
and others at Yahoo have done and go the route of the Design
Principal, the non-management role?

2) "Design" is not just part of a title, it is philosophically a
different way of thinking about problem analysis and solving. Having
your title reframed to suit corporate culture may be short term
effective, but long term you may not be sought after for that
difference. Historically, (yes, I'm about to sound paranoid) this
has been the chief way to assimilate and acculturate groups of people
into the larger cultural mindset.

I'm a very politically minded individual and I believe that design
is more than a tool for problem solving to be honest, but actually is
a core professionalization for non-linear thinking. In a world where
linear analytical thought is taught to our young ones at younger and
younger ages, destroying their creativity, I for one want to keep
every last bit of it in all symbols.

3) I have to ask another question. Can we be effective as designers
without being at the C seat? I have seen tons of great design work
done outside the corporate executive office.

-- dave