comments ...

1- [all] No subtitles, no bullets, no way to preview what cones next in the
online permanent state of decision on if I keep reading or not. Or at least
try to make the paragraps of noticeably different sizes ...  :-)

2- [para #2] "In fact our industry, perhaps more than any other, relies on
delivering compelling user experiences for its success." Well, IMO all
industries do: car makers, dress makers, book editors, sausage sellers,
musicians (hmmmm ... Keith Jarrett ...). The only one that need not consider
the user is the IRS and the likes.
Our industry is peculiar in that it spent half a century in a state of
autism, thus "the inmates...". It was not until the internet bubble that
computer UIs were exposed to untrained ("not specially trained") people and
flopped en masse, triggering Jake and the usability wave.

3- [para #4] "For example, the conventional user-centric view starts with
user needs and goals. In social media these are not necessarily rational and
objective." and the open-endedness of social interaction is quite
interesting an idea.
But the "users" do have a goal, there is always a goal, not as specific as
"transfer money to that account" but maybe "communicate". It reminds me of a
scenario somebody pictured a while ago of the students in a japanese
university sitting at the cafeteria sending SMS, why don't they talk!?
Communicating without hhaving to talk might be such goal ...

3- [lost count...] This seems to me a really useful point of view:
"Self-interested users act from a position of Self
Other-interested users react to an Other (user)
Relationally-interested users interact through social activity"
In Waldorf schools they say there are three statuses of the human person:
parasit, egoist, and altruist. I loosely related them to the three stances
you identified.

4- [near bottom] "... more innovation of the presentation layer, by means of
Flash, for example." brings a technology and I would not. You take the
reader for a flight at filosophical heights and recalling a technology you
crash her against the ground, a concrete ground. The abstraction level
descends orders of magnitude in a few lines.
And my take, quality of the UI does not depend that much in the tecnology
but in the talent of those involved.

Thanks for requesting comments.

One more: I work for a company that does outsourcing. We have both normal
and big clients, including one whose name starts with a blue "G" and is
fostering a social media platform .. what's its name ... it's in the T-shirt
I'm wearing right now: "open social".
In the company there is much excitement about social networks. But I don't
see the meat, besides consuming bandwith.
So I read your primer with lots of interest, in another attempt to see the
light. It happened, up to a certain amount: thank you.
--
Juan Lanus