My gut feeling and experience is that an interaction designer should
have a good understanding of the medium he's designing for, whether
this is visual, physical, aural or something else. Visuals are a nice
example case, though, so pardon me for concentrating on that for the
rest of this reply.

One of the issues with using just the wireframes is that some problems
can extend to visual domain and vice versa. A solution to an
interaction problem can be a visual design issue. A visual design
issue can be solved via interaction. The separation of all parts of
the systems (coding, visuals, interaction, marketing, etc.) seem to be
artificial, to me at least, and mostly due to practical issues. The
more you can break down the barriers, the easier design seems to
become. To what level that can or should be done is another complex
issue.

However, all this also depends on the team, how it operates and what
kind of people are in it. One can't be an expert in everything, of
course, yet there needs to be understanding about the various aspects.
Diversity can be a solution, but there are practical limits with that
as well. Plus there are benefits of keeping teams small. Thus, imho,
interaction designer should be able to be at least adequate in visual
design (or applicable field) to be worth his salt.

Regards,

Janne Kaasalainen