Andrei et al,

I have seen some great interactions. I have known some fantastic interaction
designs. I have also know some fantastic visual designs/designer/s. the two
sets are orthogonal and do not overlap - I have not met one great IxDer that
was also a great visual designer. Not even in La-la SF/bay area moonbat
treehugger land.

I have also seen very few - if any at all - great web interaction designs
because in that regard you are right - the web was built as a document
linking platform and to the extent that there is a "browser" you have a
page-link-page underlying system model - not a rich interactions paradigm
like you get with sovereign applications. Doesn't mean we don't need to
train up IxD folks that only know the web - but for those who have spent
many years doing thick client IxD work - the RIA-less web with its links and
simple form elements is kindergarten no matter how you slice it - and
spending 5 or 10 years doing just web IxD will never let you explore the
deeper issues that any 2nd year HCI student should know like the back of
their hand. But these are just my opinions and as we all know, 1. they are
like __ (everyone has one) and 2. they won't even buy you a cup of coffee.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Jeff Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Andrei wrote:
> > No. No matter what anyone else says.
> > Ok... let's see some example then?
> > Examples of "great working interaction without
> > having visual design skills."
>
> I feel like we covered this upstream in the thread. Pick any
> "great" interaction without a visual component and your argument
> quickly unravels.
>
> Audio phone interfaces are probably the most common example. You
> can't "see" them, but that's the point.
>
> 1-800-555-TELLME
>
> I have no idea whether the designer for the Tell Me service had
> visual design skills but it isn't expressed in the interface because
> the interface isn't visual.
>
> There's no need to address whether it's possible to find
> counter-examples in the visual domain because the argument you're
> making is absolute in nature. Only one counter-example is necessary.
>
> Perhaps we can quibble over whether this service is in fact a
> "great" interaction, but that's a topic for another thread.
>
> // jeff

> Posted from the new ixda.org
> http://www.ixda.org/discuss?post=34316

~ will

"Where you innovate, how you innovate,
and what you innovate are design problems"

Will Evans | User Experience Architect
tel: +1.617.281.1281 | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
aim: semanticwill     |  gtalk: wkevans4
twitter: semanticwill | skype: semanticwill