So, this is actually my first reply to this list, but I thought I'd jump in
because this actually spawned a conversation here where I work.

Janne, I think your response hits the nail on the head. As we are heading into
a more visual and all around higher fidelity world of interactions in software
products (iPhone, Vista with WPF, Core Animation on the Mac, etc...), visual
design skills are becoming more and more valuable for interaction designers -
or whatever title you give yourself for being the person that "figures out the
user interface." Certainly there are specializations as products grow complex
(as someone pointed out with the game industry, which started out with a
programmer doing EVERYTHING and now has full time people just making 3d
props!). However, I believe cross discipline talents are key as we're
navigating these new waters of interactions. Animations, graphic design,
typography, general layout - all of these things are going to play key roles in
establishing excellent experiences with software. Basically, a gigantic mixture
of disciplines are coming together to form what we consider to be excell
 ent interactions.

So, do you need to be a master of each discipline? Absolutely not. I hardly
expect myself to be a master of animation. I've taken 2 animations classes in
the past and I hope to never have to draw a walk animation cycle ever again.
But I took the classes - and I have an understanding of the fundamentals and my
work has improved because of it. In fact, the information I gleaned from all my
"visual design" research and classes over the years has proven invaluable while
creating interactive prototypes to design Uis that I'm working on. Of course,
I've also made a point to learn programming (to a noooooobish level, I'll
admit, but I only make prototypes), because that plays a role in the future as
well. In a sense, I believe that interaction designers need to strive to be
rennaissance computer nerds. Which, hey, that's the fun part, right?! We should
count ourselves lucky. :)

Basically, my point is that if you want to make great designs, I do believe you
need to have somewhat of an understanding in the various disciplines involved.
Visual design is one of those disciplines that can help immensely. Sure,
sometimes you can have a situation where you have an interaction designer and a
visual designer and they are completely separate. And sometimes that situation
will produce a great product. But, I truly believe there would be far more
synergy if that visual designer had some interaction design chops, as well as
the interaction designer knowing a thing or two about visual design. And if
that were the case, that great product just went from great to awesome.

-Alan Dennis

User Experience Designer
TechSmith Corporation | www.TechSmith.com