GREAT thread. Before I go all up and theoretical, I wanted to point
people to Jon Kolko's work in this regard. He is my predecessor at
SCAD as the Prof of IxD there. He has his course materials and other
thoughts on IxD education on his site:
http://www.jonkolko.com/education.php

I think "what I teach" will really depend on the structure. If I
was teaching inside another discipline (as I will be) I will only
have to teach those things that the primary program does not cover.
I.e. I won't be teaching drawing/sketching to a bunch of industrial
design students. But if I was teaching in an interactive media
program, I most certainly would be. In either case I would supplement
a standard sketching lab with tidbits about how to make sketching a
more effective IxD tool.

But generally, I like how people are speaking about the analog of
interaction design. I'm not so sure this is so necessary in a formal
education background as it is is a continuing ed background.
Especially at the masters level I would expect that complete studio
work you will have had to take the materials labs/studios in order to
continue your work. "Flash" might be too specific, but
basic/intermediate multimedia computer programming is definitely not.

Futher, I think the Jeff's example of exploring and re-telling is
great! It is really a classic ethnography course exercise but I would
add that would "story telling" is a hugely important lesson we need
to teach our students, there are some additions here I'd like to
make.
1) There is story telling. I would want my stuents to explore this in
various cross-cultural forms.
2) There are media. Take the same story and see it played out in
various media. The Oddessy for example has been done (to death) as
book, graphic novel/comic, TV show, radio show, movie, and
interactive CD-ROM. Learning how the story changes both in media and
as well over time is really important.
3) Once the critique is done, then it is a question of learning how
to take that ethnography you did and then express *A* story in those
observations as a problem, that needs to be solved, and then telling
the story of the solution.

The last point I'd like to make here is that "Does it work?" is
the classic problem with UCD related design education. While this may
not be the intention of the words, in no doubt do the words themselves
focus our attention on "function". While usability and workabilit
and stakeholder demands are important, as a design discipline there
is more. There are aesthetics in interactions and it is important if
interaction designers are to work side by side and be in a position
to direct other trained designers (from other disciplines) to be able
to walk and talk about aesthetics not just of IxD but of the form
designers they will work with. Design History, not just of IxD, but
of architecture, industrial design, interior, graphic, etc. is
important. A learning of the great design schools of Europe and how
they influenced and got turned up-side-down in the US and Asia is
also important.

Then all of this that I don't see needs to be turned into
"critique". Someone recently said (I forget if it was posted on
this list) that graphic design is completely subjective with a means
of evaluating beyond the personal. HOGWASH! Critique is real in
visual design and industrial design, and it just doesn't mean that
it can be used, read, or communicated successfully. It speaks about
emotions like HCI theorists speak about cognition. While it can be
fuzzy, there is predictability the same way 5 wine tasters can all
agree on great wine, so would 5 design masters on specific qualities
of a visual, 3D or spatial design.

I'm not saying that what has been posted already isn't important,
but for a design education on IxD, not just a "continuing ed" UX
education, these elements were missing from the postings above.

-- dave