> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 03:20:54
> From: David Malouf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [IxDA Discuss] What to teach interaction design students
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> GREAT thread. Before I go all up and theoretical, I wanted to point
> people to Jon Kolko's work in this regard. He is my predecessor at
> SCAD as the Prof of IxD there. He has his course materials and other
> thoughts on IxD education on his site:
> http://www.jonkolko.com/education.php

I've been following the thread, and enjoying the discussion. Having placed
~99% of my 50 or so interaction design undergraduates in interaction design
jobs or grad degree programs, it looks like the interaction curriculum I
developed with Professor Bob Fee works. That said, the reason it worked so
well is because the students I had were passionate, aggressive, interested,
and fired up - and the ones who weren't realized quickly that they couldn't
hack it in courses that were as demanding as industry. And so the best
suggestion I can give to someone structuring an interaction design program
[really, any design program at all] is to make it demanding, challenging and
difficult, and do your best to establish a reputation for it and yourself as
being equally as demanding, challenging and difficult. The students learn to
self-select classes based on reputation, and you control quality through
word of mouth.

After my experience teaching, I'm solidly of the belief that anyone can
learn any design "skill" - any practical ability and set of methods - but
not everyone has or can acquire the passion and fire to learn something as
challenging and as ambiguous as design. A good curriculum and a good
professor exists, essentially, to feed the fire of passion.

-
Jon Kolko

Co-Editor-In-Chief, interactions
http://interactions.acm.org/