On Nov 13, 2008, at 3:38 PM, Peter Merholz wrote:

Regardless, I think my main and more important point is that activity
centered design feels soul-less to me. It's motivation as I've heard people describe it here and other places is discount UCD (getting to the point
quickly).

I would argue that UCD, as typically practiced, is soulless, too, as it focuses on tasks and goals, and thus has a reductive understanding of humans. UCD tends to treat people as robots whose goal is to maximize productivity, to relentlessly accomplish a goal.

One thing that reassures me is the increasing embrace of anthropological and sociological methods, which takes us beyond tasks and goals, and towards behavior, motivation, context and culture. This more holistic appreciation of people ought to provide insights that allow for superior products and services.

Ptthh. (Is there a better online way to represent a raspberry?)

Bad UCD is soulless.

Good user research embraces the anthro and socio methods you're talking about.

This is the problem of our terminology. We regularly lump bad work, whether it be bad interaction design, bad visual design, and bad user research, into the underlying titles because we don't have good descriptions of what this work looks like when it's done well. (And like most professional activities, it's done well far less than it's done poorly.)

Let's try to be careful in where we're discounting entire areas of practice to ensure that we're not just condemning when it's done poorly in a broad generalization. Then we can all get along.

Jared