Here's what I designed <http://rhjr.net/tests/LikertScale.gif>.
I'd love any and all feedback. It's obviously an unconventional design, so
I'd like to run it by some users, and I'd love to hear the impressions of
other designers.

The task flow:

1. User clicks a response to the current active statement (blue, bold,
larger font)
2. List of statements auto-scrolls and the next statement becomes active
3. To change a previous answer, user clicks the arrows to navigate back and
forth

Here was my criteria for the design:

1. Minimal mouse movements (the answer buttons don't moveā€”the statements do)
2. Keep the user motivated (the design shows upcoming statements, but
not enough to overwhelm)
3. Provide large hit areas for responses (something radio buttons don't
have)
4. Track progress (the counter in the upper-right)
5. Allow user to change his/her mind (the arrows to go back/forward to
change answers or review)
6. Set clear expectations (the text about typical survey duration, and the
counter)
7. To avoid tedium, it has to feel fast (hopefully, the design as a whole
achieves this)
8. Avoid making the user memorize the responses, as well as the order of the
meaning without reading explicitly each time)

Thoughts?

Thanks, everyone.

-r-