Well, I'd be interested to hear the opinion of others since I'm doing the
same thing as you right now and sometimes I wonder if there's a better way
to do it. I was thinking about writing something on this for my site but
I'll tell you the story here.

It's important to remember that navigation is not the same as a content
structure because the former often looks different to the latter. I have
about 2000 units of content to remodel and since this is a policy/publishing
environment, the decisionmaking process is especially involved! Firstly we
hammered out labels for the new themes and categories to be used using a
card sorting exercise. One task after that has been to migrate existing
content over to the new structure, which sounds similar to what you're
doing.

We had some page crawler software (no idea what that was, sorry) create an
Excel spreadsheet which I converted to a flat XML file. Using a web page
interface that I wrote (it uses a Javascript library to enable drag-and-drop
functionality), I drag and drop each unit into the correct section and flag
it with a fixed set of options including things like [REDISTRIBUTE],
[DELETE], [DISCUSS]. Then I sort the results to create a report which can be
put in front of the business.

Thx,

Mike