Alan,

Surprisingly, there is still no standard pattern or even a frequently used convention for indicating what can be dragged. (Or there is one but you and I have never heard of it, which means it isn't a very successful standard.)

Still, some things can sometimes be dragged, e.g., an icon, a member of a thing-bar (whether or not the things are icons), an object within a drawing or layout, a border line, selected text, a selected group of things, or a drag-handle and whatever the handle drags. Experienced users probably consider the possibility that such things can be dragged. You might be able to take advantage of that suspicion. For example, while the pointer is hovering over a table row, or (to be less disruptive) when a row is selected, surround it by a drop shadow that makes it appear to float, or display a drag handle alongside it. Either cue may tempt the user to try dragging the row or its handle, as the case may be. Or, if row-dragging can only happen in an edit mode (I hate modes but when a document is shared, especially on the web, an edit mode can reduce the incidence of inadvertent corruption), display a drag handle to the left of each row whenever it is in edit mode.

Larry Tesler