We have a very similar scenario on Sixent. Users can create multiple
profiles, and we wanted it to be easy to move bits of information
from one profile to another. So there's basically a grid with each
profile as a column, and the data in rows. Users can drag data from
one column to another within the same row.

We originally tried to do this with an indicator on every field, but
it was just too much clutter with all the other information there.
So, we instead have a very clear and obvious indicator that only
appears when you mouse over the field. It even has a brief note
("Drag to copy") to make it clear what you can do with it.

This is pretty successful - first-timers figure it out very quickly,
and everyone else gets the benefit without an overly-cluttered
interface.

Patrick Lajeunesse
Ramius Corporation
http://patrick.sixent.com