Interaction designers need to know the basics - that strategy can (and
should) provide a framework for whatever you are designing. When
defined early and inclusively, it is a tool for aligning teams, a
touchstone for evaluating solutions and provides a benchmark for
defining success.

More specifically, they should know that there are a lot of strategic
frameworks that apply to interaction design, and it would be great to
include some. The framework I use for defining a strategy for a
project is "viable, desirable, possible". When I have sound answers
to questions in these three areas, I can design "strategically" -
create something that addresses specific needs or opportunities.

They should see examples of projects that used strategy (and maybe
some that didn't) what the strategy was, the role the interaction
designer(s) played in defining the strategy, and outcomes.

Tania

Tania Schlatter, Principal
Nimble Partners, LLC