[note: I'm looking at this as someone who's done a fair amount of engineering/project integration across disciplines, not as a designer. So maybe "strategic" means something very different for me. If that's true, it does for lots of other people outside the design field, and it will have to be very carefully defined for outsiders reading your book.

--jet]

Steve Baty wrote:
Dan,

In addition to the excellent responses you've already received from Mark,
Tania, Andrew, Fred and others, I would include the need to understand the
concepts of differentiation and positioning (in a business sense) and the
ways in which interaction design can contribute to corporate (or
organizational) strategy in these areas.

I think another great example of this sort of thing is Europa Cafe. It's not just a well designed cafe in terms of the space and flow where you can order food online. Their online services and print media are all tightly integrated with the physical cafes both in visual design, flow and business goals. The website isn't a simple "order for takeout", it includes a well-thought-out food management system for people who routinely order food for other people and for people who care about calories and ingredients on a fine-grained level.

My guess is that the "strategic design" here was that there was a single person/team driving all these different design disciplines and making sure they all worked together for the better good. I'm guessing that they were also good at resolving a number of significant conflicts between the different design and business teams.

(Having said that, the lead designers for Europa Cafe are going to come out of the woodwork and correct my every word.)

--
J. Eric "jet" Townsend, CMU Master of Tangible Interaction Design '09

design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net;  HF: KG6ZVQ
PGP: 0xD0D8C2E8 AC9B 0A23 C61A 1B4A 27C5 F799 A681 3C11 D0D8 C2E8