I just wanted to second what Michael said (especially his first suggestion about spec writing), and add a couple things. I too have made a career as the designer among engineers.

Developers tend to not like having to work out the details of a UI layout. If it is a web app, provide them with the HTML and CSS. If you can't provide the code for the front end display, provide detailed specs that include colors, type sizes, dimensions, etc. In my experience, a developer would much rather be working out engineering problems then futzing with layout, and the easier you can make it for them, the more likely you'll be satisfied with the results.

Don't be a loner. Just because you have a different job description and a different focus doesn't mean you should be a hermit. I'm good friends with a number of the developers in my firm. I eat lunch with them, joke with them, play World of Warcraft with them. They are your co-workers, after all. I've even been attending and participating in their "continuing education" lunches (e.g. studying for certifications, sharing new technologies). It was at one such lunch that I presented a presentation titled UI Design First Aid.

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer