My summary of this thread, so far:

JarEd wants to know Jim's answer to the client's question:
"what are you going to do for me, and how?"

Jim's short answer: "Trust me, I'm experienced!"

Jim's medium-length answer: "My team and I will listen, leaf through existing
documentation, do some minimal research, (paper)prototype, discuss documents,
and document for implementation. We've done that before, and it worked then so
it will work for you too."

My guess is that most clients won't take that for an answer and want to know
more about how and when they can contribute, what they can expect in between
project start and final delivery, and approximately when they can start buying
advertising space for their new product.

If Jim maintains that the long answer is that he will show the client more case
studies of successful past projects, I am afraid he is going to sound like a
broken record, not a broken comb... ;-)

An finally, if RED = talent + skills + experience + knowledge + client trust
but no fixed process, then I'm done listening.

PetEr
--
Peter Boersma | Senior Interaction Designer | Info.nl
http://www.peterboersma.com/blog | http://www.info.nl