On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Jared Spool wrote:

Yet, there's still confusion over how this is more than just really- smart-and-experience-people-doing-good-work. You, yourself, said it isn't as much a method as it is a "philosophy" or "approach". Other than a label you've put on your own working style, what is really the repeatable, scalable element here?
.... In other words, is there a 'there' there?

---------------------

... But is there anything wrong with RED being 'just' an "approach" or "mode of operation"? Like Special Ops tactics and tools (i am not crazy about this analogy - but for the lack of a better one..) i suspect certain RED practices can be codified and successfully "scaled" into various project strategies ...

...What I am reading in Jim's comments is that he frames an interesting design phenomenon (which spreads beyond narrow design methodologies) that many people practice but that has not been recognized or sufficiently discussed....

I think there is something 'there' since I believe most of us are familiar with numerous cases when a work of "really-smart-and- experience-people-doing-good-work" went nowhere - i.e. has not resulted in great, good or even acceptable designs to be tested and released ...

RED may not be always adequately implemented (by the engineering team - see other threads on this list :) - or may be not even the most ideal design solution possible- but at least there is always a tangible result - a designed product or service ... not just a bunch of UI consultants' reports that engineers do not know what to do with -- no offense meant to people whose work is to produce those reports....

Yury Frolov
Design Director, Studio Asterisk*

GUI Strategy | User Experience | Brand

415 374 7478 voice