While bring UX to open source is not impossible and there are great
people putting up a great fight. These are more the exceptions than
the rule.

We need to realize that until the culture of OSS evolves from one
where code contribution is king, to one where idea contribution (in
ALL its forms, including code) is king, it will remain difficult.

I think there needs to be a bit of a revolution and one I'm hoping
to have something to do with (maybe even with Aza's help). In the
spirit of Carpe Diem, I really want to "just do it" and create an
OSS project, even if only experimental that starts out with
attempting to answer the question, "What would a designer led open
source software project look like?"

The goal isn't to negate the developer, but create a space totally
different from before. The outcome is not to learn how to lead
developers, but to create a space for exploring design in its
relation to development in a new way and see what succeeds and what
fails. The ultimate goal would be to work towards modeling a new
culture where business, development and design can co-mingle/lead OSS
initiatives/projects.

-- dave