We should also think about open-source design apart from open-source
development.  Just as developers come up with neat ideas, build
something, and put it out there for others to download and use,
there's no reason why some thoughtful designers can't iterate over a
great product idea and publish the design for the world to see (with
no initial concern for developer collaboration)...  Then, some
developers, business types, etc., could download the full design and
implement it.