I'm so excited about the productive energy here! This thread *is* the
best example of beginning a new endeavor in this space.

Nasir, Dave and I are on the Conan infrastructure project which has
an explicit goal of being able to support or nurture or otherwise
account for the existence of OSS-IxD projects.

I liked what Jonathan described: "I imagine IxDA Labs could take a
hybrid approach... weave together a wiki, knowledge management tools,
digital whiteboarding... "

And then, as raised earlier, source control for design artifacts is a
big, important topic. Although, perhaps you could say we can (& do!)
suffice with a dated/tagged/sorted record of design outputs at a
minimum.

And Jonathan's more minimal idea has value for a starting point:
"there's no reason why some thoughtful designers can't iterate
over a great product idea and publish the design for the world to see
(with no initial concern for developer collaboration)... Then, some
developers, business types, etc., could download the full design and
implement it."

One thing to ask is whether there's really going to be a lot of
designer-to-designer collaboration in such a system, or whether it's
really going to be more common for individual designers to partner
with a development team.

Brainstorming time! What other qualities or features would this new
system, this green-field-of-OSS-IxD-goodness possess?

Cheers,
Liz